Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I Can Haz Tyme Warp?

Yesterday evening I opened the third and last gallon can of the Western Wood Doctor Furniture Refinisher that I ordered last winter. They ship the individual cans tied into plastic shopping bags (packed into a cardboard carton, etc.). And what do you know: Inside this third and last bag was my receipt and a use brochure.

I've been using this solution for years, but hey, I'll read anything. Especially if it means taking a break from work.

So here I read, "2. Before starting to remove the old finish, repair all damages as needed (burn marks, re-glue veneer and joints, mend missing parts, etc.). This is done at this time to insure that the new wood will blend with the old in the refinishing process."

Well, yes, that is a very good idea. I totally agree. But here I am, not doing it. Nearly 70 pieces of wood trim stripped to date, and I have not pre-filled any of the cracks and nail holes and gouges.

Yes, I'm sure the Howard people know what they're talking about. It creeps upon my mind to be concerned about how it's going to look when I go back and use and sand down the wood filler.

And let's not even talk about the endgrain where I'll need to take the palm sander to it.

But how can I do it the right way? Until I get the old surface off with the refinisher, I don't even know where the holes and gouges are! If I could go back in time and prevent whichever previous owner it was from using white spackle to fill the old nail holes, I gladly would. If I could have clean edges on the pieces that need put back together before I've cleaned them, I'd arrange that, too.

The only thing I hope to arrange now is to be as neat as possible with the hole and gouge filling. I'm thinking sawdust mixed with water-soluble wood glue.

And some of the dents, I may well leave. Gives the woodwork character, right? This trim should look like its age, nearly 100 years old, not like it was milled yesterday. That would be time-warped!

No comments: