Saturday, April 17, 2010

I Don't Think So

Well, I was at it again late this evening and early morning, doing more planing, and filling more cracks in my hallway floor with skinny little wood shims.

Yeah, I said I was done the other day. That's what I said.

Put it down to perfectionism. Put it down to my having lived with and scrutinized the floor the past few days. But I've sliced off a few more strips, slathered them with wood glue, and rubber-mallet-rammed them into the increasingly-narrow cracks.

Or maybe you can put it down to my facing reality. Maybe I've finally accepted that there's no way I can do two stages of sanding, mix up and apply the filler for the remaining small cracks and sand it down, get the aniline dye and the lac buttons to dissolve and do the necessary color experiments, and apply three coats of finish (also figuring out how to restrict my four animals from the job site) in time to have the floor all finished before the 21st.

No. I don't think so.

So I may as well do as good a job at this stage as possible.

We'll have fun with shellac in June.

1 comment:

Karen Anne said...

Hope this isn't a duplicate comment, I got a blogger error before.

I hope your surgery went well, and that you're recuperating with your animals. You're in my thoughts.

I've just caught up with your blog (my problem seems to be Firefox runs out of memory, but I can read it in IE.) You've really gotten a lot done. The hollies look great.