Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Confession

I don't want to work on the house today.

There's nothing else in particular I want to do instead, but I don't want to mess with the house.

I've noticed it lately: I'll be in the middle of a stint of work, and I realize I'm not anticipating how good it will look when it's done. No, I want to stop now.

Lately this has happened time and again. It started last month when I was digging tree roots out of my vegetable garden beds; it continues as I strip woodwork. It has nothing to do with feeling that the project is overwhelming or not ultimately worth doing. I. Just. Don't. Want. To. Work. On. It.

But I have to. The house being so torn up is competing with my need to get a full time job. I know from experience that once I go back to work, nothing will happen on the house. The two are rapidly approaching the collision point and I don't want to be destroyed in the smash.

Then, too, the North American Festival of Wales is being held here in Pittsburgh this coming Labor Day weekend. I'm on the local planning team, so of course I will attend, and my friend Ruth* from Kansas City is coming, too. She's not only coming, she's staying with me. For the sake of holy hospitality I have to get the Sow's Ear habitable before then. At least I have to have the 12' long baseboards off the floor and back onto the walls, so they don't trip her the moment she steps into my house.

And there's a lot to be done before baseboards can be reattached.

Today's project is breaking out the Big Wally's and repairing ceiling plaster. Immer zu! Immer zu! Ohne Rast und Ruh'!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I feel like that about our bathroom. Yet, I can't manage to go and FINISH it. I just want it DONE!

Good luck with your baseboards.

Kate H. said...

Really. The dispiriting thing is that usually, once I get going on something, it's fun and I wonder why I put it off for so long. Just now, not so much. But if you want to see what comes of putting things off, read my latest post (Sunday 6/7).