Eh bien. Nous recommençons.
Saturday, 11 May 2013: Dare I admit that nothing got done on the house this past week? Too much sub teaching, too much working in my least-favorite department at the Big Blue Box Store (Home Décor-- booooorrrrrrinnnngggg!!!), too much rain, and too much watching TV late at night on the computer. But this morning I Made Myself get out to do something about the weeds in the flower beds in the front garden. Even though it was in the lower 40s and freezing.
|Not the worst of it, either|
|A little too friendly|
Couldn't use my electric blower/vac. I lost the nut for the impeller somewhere in the backyard leaves the other day and it won't work without it. Plus the impeller has worked its way up the bolt it spins around and won't come off or go back down, either one. Stuck. Hope I can get it repaired.
Monday, 13 May: Excitement unimaginable. This afternoon, in the interval between getting home from teaching and heading for the evening job, I finally, after all these years, got the stringer moulding for the main stairs nailed back up. Hooray!!
Friday, 17 May: Eve of the annual Borough Large Item Pick-Up. Not much from me this year, but I did get rid of the old white pine painted quarter round put up by the previous owners two back. I'd been keeping it thinking it'd be useful for something. But having watched enough episodes of Hoarders . . .
Saturday, 18 May: Took the electric blower/vac to a small machine repair shop over in Industry. Yes, I can repair it, for $16 worth of parts. If I can't find a wingnut or something that will function to keep the impeller on, I'll have them order them. But I have to try the cheaper option first. The guy at the shop worked the impeller off for me, no charge. It's plastic, and he figures it got too hot and melted to the shaft a little. Could be right.
Then at the grocery store I picked up some eggplant and broccoli plants on sale to put in in the front garden. Yes, the front. I have some ideas about that, which I think I'll regale you with in a separate post.
Other than that, spent a few minutes out in the back garden trimming last year's dead leaves off the hellebores and mulching around the blueberry bush.
|Maple mulch composting since October 2008|
Also contemplated cleaning up my basement workbench. There's no room to do the cope till I do, and besides, I can't find my middle-sized nail set and I need it to countersink the stupid nailgun brads that are still protruding out of the quarter round trim in the living room and hall. Maybe it's in all that mess.
Wednesday, 22 May: Got a wingnut at work (after work) that fits the impeller shaft on the yard blower/vac and it's all back together. Haven't tested it yet, but I expect it'll function again.
Saturday, 25 May: Worked on getting the last of the oil-based primer off the carcase of the tall living room bookcase, until I ran out of refinisher. Found a whole bag of #0 steel wool in the basement the other day and yes, using cleaner pads does make a real difference.
Monday, 27 May, Memorial Day: After work at the box store, got downstairs and made progress cleaning out my workshop. Haven't finished the job; the stuff on the shelf above the workbench still needs going through before I can put things away, but the bench itself is clean.
|Say goodbye to the mess!|
|Well, I tried. Stoopy kamra!!|
OK. Maybe. I guess. But stay tuned for the big project that's developed this month. As indicated, it's not an inside job.