Wednesday, August 24, 2011
So everything got soldered in the right way and Steve drilled the pipe hanger/retainers into the wall at convenient brick joints, so the whole system doesn't get knocked into the next county every time I bump my head on the valve. We turned the water back on, Steve looked at his work, and said, "Great! No leaks! I always have at least one!"
But not this time, it appeared. This time, solder joint success at the first go.
He and the kids leave, and I go to enjoy the luxury of a toilet that actually flushed. I come out of the basement bathroom, and go to admire the work. Yes, it was messy as to solder drips and so forth, but it was done! But wait a minute. There's water on top of the bypass valve. I look up. Oh, no. There is a leak, up above, coming from the elbow at the top of the outflow riser.
There's a wire that connects the inside meter with the outside one the Borough reads, and we'd pushed it up out of the way so it wouldn't get burned by the torch. If I was planning on running water despite the leak, I needed to reconnect it. Got up on my stool, and as I was sliding the wire and its plastic tie down the pipe, I felt, oh, no, water at an upper joint. In the elbow about 2" away from the plastic radon exhaust pipe. It would be in an inconvenient place, wouldn't it? But maybe why that's why it's leaking.
About that time, Steve called and said frankly, "We're coming back to take care of that leak now. I want to get this done and over with."
"Good, because there's actually two leaks."
They all left. I put away tools, used some more water. About a half hour passed. I was up on the stool again, cleaning the hardened splashes of solder off the top of the meter, when I felt, oh, no, drip, drip, drip! This time, more frequent and forceful than before. This is not a place I can put a bucket under. I called Steve again.
And shortly after lunch, back they came. And Steve tried it again. He loaded on so much solder the elbow looked like a messy silver-plating job. Then we waited.
Steve felt the joint. "Yeah, it's still wet."
All was not lost, however. Because of where that assembly is (connected at the bottom to flexible line leading from the outlet side of the water filter), we could afford to cut out a bit of both the horizontal and vertical runs and eliminate the bad elbow. And because I bought three elbows first thing this morning, just in case, we had one to use.
Steve made one more attempt, this time with the new fitting. It's several hours later, and the joint seems to be sound. No side of leakage. Hurray!
It'd be nice to say I was finished putting everything together, with or without setting the meters and timers, and the treated water is beginning to flow. But there are a couple of things still:
a) I overlooked the fact that this brine tank is bigger than the one on my old Kenmore. The instructions say, right there, "add 3-4 bags of . . . salt." I only bought two.
Then, b) There's a part, a top distributor basket, that the instructions say I'm supposed to fit to the top of the riser tube before screwing that big honking 2510 Fleck meter on top of the softener tank. Or rather, there's not a part. I've either misplaced it since June, or they didn't send me one. The directions say this device is used "when the unit is subjected to higher than normal water pressures . . . which are present in a few areas of the U.S." Maybe my area is not one of them (my water pressure is normal), so it didn't come in my shipment. I'm making no assumptions; I'm going to call the Ohio Pure Water people about it in the morning.
After I've gone back to Lowe's for more salt.