Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Curtain Call

This afternoon the plumber returned.

After greeting his buddy my dog, he mounted the stairs to the bathroom to tackle the challenge of the Crookedy Leaking Washbasin Pipe.

I went on up to my third-floor study and kept out of his way. At length, he called me downstairs.

"I think I've got it fixed," he announced. "But don't touch it, don't look at it, don't even think about it!"

Why? Because the pre-existing conditions made it such a tenuous connection that it might come loose simply out of spite.

Turns out the home warranty company had closed out the ticket on my plumbing job after the pipe that was leaking through the kitchen ceiling was fixed the other day. "I'm not charging for this," the plumber said. "The home warranty people probably wouldn't pay for it because it was that way when you bought the house. I did the best I could. Hopefully it'll stay dry for you."

I believe it. I saw how askew that pipe was the other day. I'm thinking that short of major surgery with the pedestal lav itself, if it leaks the only option is clear silicone caulk.

Too bad I can't redo the whole damn bathroom right now!

No comments: